Who should apply for a PIN?  Any Senior planning to attend a 4-year or 2-year college, apprenticeship program, technical, and vocational school after high school.  Getting your PIN is the first step to filing your Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.  It will allow you to electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.

**Your parent should also apply for a PIN if you are a dependent.(The US Department of Education considers a student a dependent up until the age of 24 except in certain circumstances.)

How do I apply for Federal Student Aid?  For information on student aid and to apply, go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.  Remember, applying for financial aid is free.  If you are asked to pay money, you are on the wrong website!  FAFSA on the Web will guide you through the questions that you must answer, and you can save your application and return to it later.

When should I complete the FAFSA?  As soon as possible!  Select the college you anticipate attending on the FAFSA.  Many college priority deadlines begin as early as February!  Please refer to individuals schools websites for their Financial Aid Priority Deadlines.

FYI:  Some colleges (such as UVA and College of William and Mary) may require a CSS/Financial Aid Profile in addition to the FAFSA.

Check https://profileonline.collegeboard.com and college websites for more information.


Financial Aid Event Assistance Reminders: 

Lafayette High School will have a Financial Aid Information session on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Lecture Hall.

What do I need to complete the FAFSA? (www.FAFSA.ed.gov)

  • Your Social Security card. It is important that you enter your Social Security Number correctly!
  • Your driver’s license (if any)
  • Your 2013 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) 2013 Federal Income Tax Return.
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
    • Foreign Tax Return, or
    • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your Parents 2013 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your 2013 untaxed income records
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

Keep these records! You may need them again.  Do not mail your records to Federal Student Aid.

What are the types of federal financial aid? 

  • Grants are available on the basis of financial need and do not have to be repaid.  (Example:  The Federal PELL Grant)
  • Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that provides employment opportunities at eligible colleges and universities to students with the highest financial need.  The money does not have to be repaid.  Placement is limited, check with your individual institution.
  • Federal loans are funds you must repay. These loans are government-regulated and reasonably affordable. Even though some loans are based on financial need, there are programs available to all federally eligible students regardless of income. (Examples:  Federal Perkins Loan & Direct Stafford Loans) 

Other financial aid options and Assistance:

  • Scholarships are private monies made available to students from various local community groups, corporate donors, and colleges. You do not have to repay scholarships. Each scholarship usually requires a separate application.  Some scholarship listings can be accessed through Lafayette’s Counseling webpage by clicking (Scholarships & Financial Aid)

Additionally, you should search individual college websites for opportunities and Lafayette High School scholarship board located in the cafeteria.

  • Private Education Loans, also known as Alternative Loans, are credit-based loans that can help bridge the gap between the actual cost of your education and the amount of your other financial aid funds. Private loans are offered by private lenders and should only be considered after exhausting all other sources of funding, including federal loans.
  • VA Wizard FAFSA Tutorial Introduction (College and Career Website)   www.vawizard.org/vccs/FinAidFafsaTut.action

757-565-0373, Ext. 32217, Lafayette High School, Room 622