Find books and eBooks in the LHS collection.
Choose the decade on the right side of the screen.
Brief biographies of notable individuals from every part of the world and from all time periods.
- Enter your search term for newspaper and magazine articles, primary source documents, etc.
- Limit (on left of results page): Select full text, publication dates, and source types.
- Advanced Search: more search options.
- Topic Overview: provides an overview of the topic.
- View: original (pdf full text) form, or html full text (may be easier to read).
- Cite (on the right): Select your citation format and copy citation.
- For additional articles, return to the search results or use the Find Similar Results button.
Similar to eLibrary, but elicits different results.
Don’t forget: Use the databases to find good web sites!
Biography.com contains over 25,000 brief biographies from antiquity to the present.
Use the databases to find primary resources!
Find primary sources (17th c. to present) at this Library of Congress collection. When searching for your biographical subject, put the name in quotation marks and select all formats. Once you receive results, narrow the format(s) on the left. Includes audio recordings and personal narratives.
Don’t forget a great resource here at home! Find historical information about colonial times, the Revolution, and local resources including Virginia Gazette archives.
(or enter this search string: mysearchterm site:news.google.com/newspapers)
Google digitized thousands of newspapers during the Newspaper Archive project. Search for your topic, click on the full screen icon and size the newspaper. You’ll have to print screen or use the snipping tool to capture and save an image.
Original Time Magazines from the WW II era are located in the back of the LHS Media Center.