Dear Penguin Families,
Welcome back from our recent break and Happy December! This month is a short one for us filled with many activities and happenings. Considering the excitement that comes around special holidays, we extend our thanks in advance for helping students to remain vigilant and focused on classroom instruction.
Our staff extends their thanks to families who were able to meet with teachers during our window of conferences. Your participation and communication with your son/daughter’s teacher is very important to us. Whether by note, phone, or meeting, we invite you to contact us when questions or concerns arise. This partnership will ensure the social and academic success of our students.
We are in much need of support from those who drop their learners off in the mornings. It is very important that families respect the 9:10 a.m. drop off time. Child care is not provided prior to that time and we cannot guarantee there will be supervision. Please stay mindful of our school protocols for the safety of our children.
December’s habit from The 7 Habits of Happy Kids is âPut First Things First: Work First, Then Play,â which is so fitting for this time of the year. The character word for the month is kindness. Putting first things first means spending time on the things that are most important. It may mean having to say ânoâ at times and setting priorities around the most important, BIG things in your life. Making a schedule and following plans to stay organized will then allow for getting to the little things that take your time. Think of some things that may consume a lot of your time. If those items take up too much time and are not beneficial, brainstorm ways to reduce them in order to get to the items that are important.
In the spirit of the season (and practicing kindness), our PTA and SCA have kicked off our annual Rawls Byrd Days of Giving. This special tradition invites members of our learning community to bring in useful items that will be given to Penguin families who need assistance. What a wonderful way to learn about the importance and joy of giving and serving others! I have no doubt we will make this year as successful and wonderful as in year’s past; here is the list in case you missed it via the Penguin folder or online announcements:
- Dec. 1âSnack Day â crackers & cheese, popcorn, graham crackers, pudding, etc.
- Dec. 2âBreakfast Day â cereal, pancake/waffle mix, oatmeal, granola, etc.
- Dec. 3 âFruit & Veggie Day â canned fruit or vegetables, juices, dried fruit, sauces, etc.
- Dec. 4âCanned Goods Day â canned meats & fish, soups, beans, nut butters, etc.
- Dec. 5âQuick Meal Day â boxed dinners, pizza mix, pasta & sauce, etc.
- Dec. 8â Condiments Day â syrup, honey, jams, mayo, ketchup, mustard, dressings, etc.
- Dec. 9âHousehold Day â dish soap & laundry detergent, cleaners, paper products, etc.
- Dec. 10âToiletries Day â shampoo, soap, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, etc.
- Dec. 11âBaking Day â prepackaged mix, flour, sugar, baking chips, evap. milk, spices, etc.
- Dec. 12â Hat, Mitten and Sock Day â hats, gloves and socks for all ages
As a gentle reminder, Ms. White and I have been challenged to dye our hair PINK if we reach half of our PTA fundraising goal ($2500) by Thursday, December 18th. Our students collected $626.81 for Penny Wars, and so far we’ve earned a grand total of $1656.71. We are grateful to all of our families who have supported the PTA, which fully gives back to our learning community. It is not too late to send a donation. You may send it through your student or contact our PTA President, Mrs. Trista Sikes. We are so proud of our students and their work to make our school great!
Dates to remember:
- Dec. 1 – Days of Giving begins
- Dec. 5 – Grade 4 trip to Jamestown
- Dec. 5 – Grade 5 trip to Regal Cinemas
- Dec. 9 – Make-up Picture Day
- Dec. 9 – Grade 3 play âDecember in Our Townâ, 2:00 & 7:00 PM (MPR)
- Dec. 11 – Interims/Progress Updates
- Dec. 12 – Band, Chorus & Orchestra Strings Holiday Concert (10:30 AM)
- Dec. 12 – Grade 3 trip to see The Nutcracker
- Dec. 12 – PTA Family Movie Night; MPR
- Dec. 13 – Sleighbell 5K
- Dec. 18 – PTA Campaign Donation Challenge Deadline
- Dec. 19 – SCA Spirit Day (Pajama Day); Meltdown at the Igloo (2:15 PM)
- Dec. 22-Fri., Jan. 2 – Winter Break
- Jan. 5 – School Reopens
If I do not see you before our winter break, have a restful and enjoyable holiday.
Karen Swann, Principal