5th graders in Mrs. Collins’ Language Arts class worked to prepare the Butterfly Garden for planting as a school service project. Students cleaned and weeded the raised beds and had a great time in the sunshine on this beautiful day. This project was done as an extension to reading Laura Ingalls Wilder’s essay on wild flowers.
The Beep Beep News celebrates its 200th episode on March 17! The news celebrated with a math rap, a cheer for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society fundraiser, and interviews with the crew and the adults behind the scenes. The show started in October 2011 and has run every Thursday morning. The students write the news stories, film the show, are in charge of cuing the guests, making sure props are in the right place, designing and creating the backdrops, and announcing and interviewing!
The Norge Battle of the Books team enjoys a breakfast together at the conclusion of the Battle of the Books season. The Norge team battled on Tuesday, March 8th at the Williamsburg Regional Library. The students read up to 12 books to prepare for the battle. Practices for the competition began in January and were held every Friday morning before school. The team was led by Mrs. Collins, Mrs. Koenig, and Ms. Parsons.
Students and their families joined teachers and community volunteers for an evening of engaging activities. Families explored science projects and engaged in STEM activities (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Health and community services such as Lifetime Family Dental, JCC Police Child ID and JCC Fire, Sentara Hospital, Dr. Hecker (Hearing education), and others welcomed families into the cafeteria. The Lion’s Club provided vision screenings for both children and adults. Additional opportunities were discovered in the gym where participants explored experiments provided by high school Field Biology students and NASA. SHIP promoted fitness and health for all with free food samples, rock wall climbing and other activities.
The activities pictured here are:
- Rocket Building – High school students demonstrated a computer software program to design and launch a rocket into space
- Levers with Force Probes – Students measured the force it takes to lift a weight using a lever and adjusting the distance from the fulcrum
- Saving Fred: Problem solving activity – Students had to use a paper clip to place a gummy life preserver around Fred (a gummy worm)
- Rock wall climbing challenge in the gym
- Flinker: Problem solving activity – Students had to add just enough weight to a balloon to make it “flink”- (not float and not sink)
- Rollercoaster marble challenge – Students used Styrofoam tubing to create rollercoaster tracks and then tested with marbles
- Miss Garrett, teacher, tested the hover board created by 5th grade students