Did you know that the word “selfie” was added to the Oxford English Dictionary only 5 years ago? Third graders working with Mrs. Collins are studying how numbers and languages developed over time. The students practiced decoding ancient Cuneiform writing. They took a selfie to celebrate the occasion!
All Norge Elementary students loved watching Brian Curry, The Math Magician! This year he brought his love of reading and magic to us. He told us about some really cool books and performed mind blowing magic tricks.
Parents, this is your money at work! The PTA takes great pride in providing your children with fun and educational activities. We appreciate your continued support through fundraising and volunteer opportunities. If you haven’t joined the PTA, please pick up a membership form in the office.
Here are the books he inspired the students with:
- Inkheartby Cornelia Funke
- Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
- Escape!: The Story of the Great Houdini by Sid Fleischman
- Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riorrden
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Magician’s Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
- Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Flight of the Phoenix by LaFevers
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr
- Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
- Geronimo Stilton Series by Geronimo Stilton
- Magic Tree House #10: Ghost Town at Sundown by Mary Pope Osborne
- Judy B Jones is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
- Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog by Pamela Turner
- Ready, Freddy! #6 Help! A Vampire’s Coming! by Abby Klein
- Sick Day for Amos Mcgee by Philip Stead
- What Do You Do With an Idea by Kobi Yamada
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Cooer
Norge honored our Veterans and military families on November 12, 2018 during a program which featured speeches and poems written by our military students and student council leaders. We honored our Norge heroes as they entered the gymnasium by branch of service. We also heard many of our students speak from their hearts about their loved ones in the armed services and what it is like to be in a military family.
Our Veterans Day program also had many musical performances. We heard the third grade students sing “Proud of our Veterans”. The fifth grade choir sang “The Star Spangled Banner”. We closed the program with the third graders singing “Taps”.
Girls in second and third grade had a blast at the first GEMS Jr. club meeting after school. GEMS stands for Girls in Engineering, Math and Science. The girls will be encouraged to wonder, explore, build, and persevere as they conquer engineering challenges based on fairy tales and popular short stories. During the first meeting the girls learned about chromatography and decorated shirts with markers and rubbing alcohol.
On Monday, November 5, our partners at 1st Advantage Credit Union presented our school with a “Little Free Library.” This is a small library of books that students can browse and choose a free book. In order to keep the circulation full, students can also donate their gently used books to the library. All grade levels can participate. It is a revolving free library that will always be stocked with books as long as we both give and receive. If you would like to make a donation to our Little Free Library, please bring the book(s) to the main office. The Little Free Library is located near our school’s flagpole. Readers are leaders!