The state of Virginia is a recipient of a grant received by the Waterford Upstart program. This program provides a unique opportunity for families to participate in the Waterford Upstart Summer Learning Path to support home-based kindergarten readiness delivered via technology over the summer. When parents are given the tools and knowledge to support their children, everyone wins. Every parent is empowered as their child’s first teacher right in the home.
The Waterford Upstart Summer Learning Path is FREE to both families and school districts. This program is funded through a grant from the Overdeck Family Foundation. This program is available for families who will have a kindergarten eligible child in fall 2022. Families are encouraged to sign up soon, as the program kicks off on June 6.
WHAT FAMILIES WILL RECEIVE
- Research-based, efficacious, award-winning reading and math/science instruction delivered to each child for 20-25 minutes daily.
- Weekly family support through a family coach to encourage the family through literacy knowledge, preparation for supporting a school-age child, and usage tracking. This personalized support is available in over 20 languages.
- All necessary hardware, software, and infrastructure for each family (including software for each family, as well as a Dell laptop and internet when needed). As an added bonus, families who complete the program successfully will get to keep their laptops at the end of the program!
- Software licenses for all children in the home, including those who are not participating in the program directly, but may require additional reading, math, and science support.
- Pre/Post Assessment and efficacy research.
HOW TO GET FAMILIES INVOLVED
- Families can register for the Waterford Upstart Summer Learning Path directly by completing the registration form online at https://waterfordupstart.org or by calling 1- 888-982-9898.
- Eligible children are those entering kindergarten in the fall of 2022, who reside within Virginia.
For more information
If you have questions, please email EarlyChildhood@doe.virginia.gov.