Out-of-Zone Request Procedures Information
A student may be considered for permission to attend a school outside of the assigned attendance zone under one of these conditions:
- Custodial Care – student care provided by a caregiver whose address is in a school zone different from the student’s zone school (Policy JC) based on space availability. Custodial Care is not applicable for high school students.
- Child of WJCC Employee – Full –Time –resident employee (Policy JC) or non-resident employee (Policy JECB)
- Other/Extenuating Circumstances – a detailed explanation must be provided. Tuition paying students would use this option and make the request in explanation area.
The following procedure will be used to determine student eligibility for an out-of-zone school placement:
- Renewal requests (current out-of-zone – same school next year) will have a renewal window of March 1st – through March 31st. Applications for new request will be accepted beginning April 1 for the upcoming school year.
- Students presently approved for out- of-zone placement will be reviewed prior to any new requests.
- Approval for new requests will be granted based on space available and appropriateness of the placement request.
- Other than students attending the school where their parent works, children of employees cannot be in the parent work space while parent is fulfilling contract work requirements.
- The current principal must provide Good Standing information. This includes any application for a student not currently enrolled in WJCC.
- Receiving principal will approve/disapprove request and forward the application to the Student Services office for review and final approval.
- Submit completed application form by July 15 as noted:
- WJCC residents – current school of attendance for student
- WJCC non-resident employees – Student Services Department at Central Office
- The Student Services office will make the final determination and notify the parents and sending/receiving principal.
- Students currently approved for an out-of-zone placement and approved as a student in good standing will be reviewed upon receipt of the application for continued attendance at the requested schoo An application must still be submitted annually for this eligibility to continue.
- WJCC transportation cannot be utilized between schools to provide access in support of an out-of-zone request.
- For applications received before July 15, a letter of final determination will be mailed to the home address by August 1.
- Applications submitted after July 15 will not be processed until after the first ten days of school to determine available space. The student will need to attend his/her zone school until the application is approved. After September 30th, the only applications that will be considered are new residency requests that meet policy criteria.
- The student must be enrolled in WJCC Public Schools before the application can be processed (except in the case of a non-resident employee).
- The school principal must be notified of any change in address or guardianship of the students
- An application must be submitted every year.
- WJCC schools reserves the right to revoke student eligibility at any time.