Out-of-zone requests should be submitted electronically using the “Submit” button on the form. All applicable fields must be completed. Notification will be provided via email according to the timelines below. An electronic signature or typed name will be accepted on electronic submissions. Child care providers must provide complete address and phone number information. If you have trouble submitting the form please reach out to Nicole DeFreitas at for assistance.
A student may be considered to attend a school outside of the assigned attendance zone under one of these conditions:
- Child Care: student care provided by a caregiver whose address is in a school zone different from the student’s zone school (Policy JC) based on space availability. Child Care is not applicable for middle or high school students.
- Child of full-time WJCC Employee: resident or non-resident employee (Policy JC)
- Renewal Request: students approved under previous policy guidelines may continue to request out-of-zone for current school only. Renewal requests must continue to meet one of the eligibility criteria.
The following procedure will be used to determine student eligibility for an out-of-zone school placement:
- Students currently approved for an out-of-zone placement must submit an application annually during the renewal window of March 1- March 31. Applications will be reviewed for continued attendance at the requested school.
- Applications for new requests for the upcoming school year will be accepted beginning April 1.
- Students new to WJCC must complete enrollment paperwork in their zoned school before the application can be processed (except in the case of a non-resident employee).
- All full-time WJCC employee applications must request the school closest to the place of employment of the parent/legal guardian; work location for other relatives will not be considered.
- Children of employees cannot be in the parent work space while parent is fulfilling contract work requirements.
- Receiving principal will review each request and forward the application to the Student Services Department for review and final determination.
- The Student Services Department will make the final determination and notify the parents and the sending/receiving principal(s).
- Approval of new requests will be granted based on eligibility on one of the established criteria and space available.
- For applications received before July 1, a letter of final determination will be e-mailed to the e-mail address provided the last week of July.
- Due to space consideration, applications submitted after July 1 may not be considered until after the first ten days of school. The student will need to attend his/her zone school until the application is processed.
- Out-of-zone requests will not be considered after September 15.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent. WJCC transportation cannot be utilized between schools to provide access in support of an out-of-zone request.
- The school principal must be notified of any change in address or guardianship of the students.
- WJCC reserves the right to revoke student eligibility at any time.
If you need additional help, please contact the Student Services department at (757) 603-6533.