A student may be considered to attend a school outside of the assigned attendance zone under one of these conditions:
- Child Care: student care provided by a caregiver whose address is in a school zone different from the student’s zone school (Policy JC) based on space availability. Child Care is not applicable for middle or high school students.
- Child of full-time WJCC Employee: resident or non-resident employee (Policy JC)
- Renewal Request: students approved under previous policy guidelines may continue to request out-of-zone for current school only. Renewal requests must continue to meet one of the eligibility criteria.
The following procedure will be used to determine student eligibility for an out-of-zone school placement:
- Students currently approved for an out-of-zone placement must submit an application annually during the renewal window of March 1- March 31. Applications will be reviewed for continued attendance at the requested school.
- Applications for new requests for the upcoming school year will be accepted beginning April 1.
- Students new to WJCC must complete enrollment paperwork in their zoned school before the application can be processed (except in the case of a non-resident employee).
- All full-time WJCC employee applications must request the school closest to the place of employment of the parent/legal guardian; work location for other relatives will not be considered.
- Children of employees cannot be in the parent work space while parent is fulfilling contract work requirements.
- Receiving principal will review each request and forward the application to the Student Services Department for review and final determination.
- The Student Services Department will make the final determination and notify the parents and the sending/receiving principal(s).
- Approval of new requests will be granted based on eligibility on one of the established criteria and space available.
- For applications received before July 1, a letter of final determination will be mailed to the home address the last week of July.
- Due to space consideration, applications submitted after July 1 may not be considered until after the first ten days of school. The student will need to attend his/her zone school until the application is processed.
- Out-of-zone requests will not be considered after September 30.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent. WJCC transportation cannot be utilized between schools to provide access in support of an out-of-zone request.
- The school principal must be notified of any change in address or guardianship of the students.
- WJCC reserves the right to revoke student eligibility at any time.
If you need additional help, please contact the Student Services department at (757) 603-6533.