Volunteers Impact Education
WJCC Schools promotes and encourages the active involvement of community members in our division. School volunteers have a positive impact on student learning and enhancement opportunities. During the 2019-20 school year, volunteers donated over 30,000 hours to support our schools, an estimated service value of just over $773,000.
Become a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer in our schools. View the below list of available opportunities to match your skills or talents with needs in our school communities.
- Complete a Volunteer Application, which will be routed to the designated school for review and approval.
- For assistance with placement, please contact Dr. Felicia Highland in the Office of Communications and Engagement.
Your support is invaluable to our success.
“Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” – Henry Ford
Join Our Team
School-based volunteer opportunities include: Classroom, Office, Media Center, Cafeteria and more.
Mentoring contributes to the academic and social success of students. If you would like to become a role model for a WJCC student, consider becoming a mentor. WJCC partners with Big Brothers & Big Sisters to provide mentoring opportunities. If you are interested, please contact the school-based coordinator at (757) 253-0676.
Draw upon your career or hobby to help guide an extracurricular club. School clubs welcome expertise and enthusiastic individuals to help sponsor or assist them.
- Report to the main office to sign in and out of Ident-A-Kid
- Wear visitor badges at all times during volunteer activities
- Work under the direction and guidance of the WJCC staff
- Work in partnership with WJCC staff to establish guidelines and expectations for volunteer activities
- Communicate openly with WJCC staff on volunteer tasks, feedback, and any issues/concerns
- Volunteers are expected to adhere to the Volunteer Agreement
Volunteers working with students are expected to adhere to the following:
As a volunteer, you may learn or observe confidential information about students. This may include grades, behaviors, disciplinary actions and more. It is imperative that this information remain confidential and not be shared with anyone.
To ensure confidentiality:
- Volunteer agrees to protect the rights of staff, students and their families by not disclosing any information learned while volunteering.
- Volunteer understands and agrees that any information learned while volunteering must remain confidential even when the volunteer has terminated their volunteer service.
- Volunteer agrees that any breach of confidentiality may result in termination of volunteer service.
- Volunteer also agrees to the following:
- Volunteer agrees to comply with all Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools policies and school rules.
- Volunteer agrees to comply with school staff while serving as a volunteer.
- Volunteer further understands that the authorization to serve as a volunteer may be terminated at the discretion of the Superintendent and/or school principal at any time if they determine it is in the best interests of the school or students.