The WJCC Teacher of the Year program recognizes outstanding teachers from each division school. In addition, three level Teachers of the Year are selected after additional review of nominating packets and visits to each of the teacher’s classrooms.
The WJCC Division Teacher of the Year was selected from the three level Teachers of the Year after an additional review of nominating packets and visits to each of the teacher’s classrooms.
The Rookie Teacher of the Year Award recognizes a teacher who is within his/her first year of teaching and demonstrates outstanding performance and superior instructional skills. Based on the Rookie Teacher Eligibility Criteria, school administration select one First Year Teacher of the Year nominee per school (and Bright Beginnings).
Division & High School Teacher of the Year
I have been teaching visual arts at Jamestown High School for the past 9 years. I teach Drawing, Art Foundations, and Concourse 9 (an innovative PBL class with English, Biology, World History, and Art Foundations). I graduated from ODU in 2005 with a BA in Art History and I received a MAT in Art Education from CNU. I am inspired daily by the creativity of the amazing community here at JHS.
Teacher of the Year
WJCC Rookie Teachers of the Year
- Karolena “Kara” Chwalowski – Clara Byrd Baker Elementary
- Emma Newman – Matoaka Elementary
- Amy Newcomb – Matthew Whaley Elementary
- Kate Roessler – Norge Elementary
- Rebecca Pullen – Stonehouse Elementary
- Joshua Denny – Lois S. Hornsby Middle
- Emily Lovekamp – Toano Middle
- Alynn Parham – Jamestown High
- Sean Smith – Lafayette High
- Zachary Fetters – Warhill High