>>>>Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s): Expunging the Grade/Credit of a High School Course Taken in Middle School <<<<
Can I expunge the grade/credit from a course taken in 7th grade during/after my 8th grade year?
- No. All requests to expunge a grade/credit from a student transcript must be received by August 1st of the same year in which the student completes the course.
If I expunge an Algebra or Geometry grade/credit, will I have to retake the course prior to moving into the next sequenced math course?
- Yes. Per the Program of Studies, if a student has a grade/credit expunged from the transcript in a high school credit-bearing Algebra or Geometry course, the course must be repeated for credit in order to meet graduation requirements. Similarly, once a grade /credit is expunged, that course is no longer able to be used to fulfill the next courses’ prerequisite.
I’m in 7th grade and I didn’t do as well as I would like to have done in Part A of a World Language I course (e.g. Spanish I Part A). Do I need to expunge this course’s grade/credit if I don’t plan to take Part B? Which World Language course should I request for 8th grade?
- Any student who has taken Part A of a World Language course in 7th grade (e.g. Spanish I Part A) and chooses not to move on to Part B of the same World Language course in 8th grade (e.g. Spanish I Part B) would not need to submit a request to expunge a grade/credit from a student transcript for Part A. Part A would still be seen in ParentVue in the Course History tab, but the student would receive neither a World Language credit nor grade on his/her transcript if he/she does not complete Part B. If this same student would still like to take a World Language in 8th grade, he/she will need to take the full-year World Language I course (e.g. Spanish I, Latin I, German I, French I) in 8th grade.
Can I expunge the grade/credit from Part B of a World Language I course (e.g. Spanish I Part B) taken in 8th grade without expunging the grade/credit from Part A (e.g. Spanish I Part A) taken in 7th grade?
- No. Because the grades earned in Part A and Part B are averaged to create a single grade, students expunging the grade/credit from Part B of a World Language I course (e.g. Spanish I Part B) will automatically expunge the grade/credit of Part A of the World Language I course (e.g. Spanish I Part A) from the student’s transcript. The student would receive neither a World Language grade/credit on his/her transcript. If the grade/credit from both Part A and Part B are kept, the transcript would reflect a single course grade (e.g. Spanish I) and the credit earned. The grades for each part would still be able to be seen in ParentVue in the Course History tab.
Can I rescind or revoke a request to expunge the grade/credit from a high school credit-bearing course after I have submitted it?
- All expungements are final as of the date the form is submitted. Grades/credits expunged from a student’s transcript as a result of an expungement request cannot be added back at any time.
I am a rising 9th grade student taking an accelerated, high school credit bearing course over the summer (e.g. Geometry). Would I be able to expunge this grade/credit if I needed to?
- Grades/credits from courses taken over the summer for acceleration cannot be expunged.
How can I change my schedule for 2016-2017 if I need to retake a course that I am expunging or if I am no longer going to meet the pre-requisite for the next course in the sequence that I previously requested (e.g. Spanish II)?
- Your new school counselor at your zoned high school will receive your expungement information upon their return in early August. They will facilitate all necessary schedule changes as a result of any expungement.
**REMINDER: All requests to expunge a grade/credit from a student transcript must be submitted to the student’s zoned high school by August 1st of the year in which the student took the course.
Links to registration information and forms:
- Middle School Parent Night 6th Grade_Feb2017_Final – Information Presentation
- Middle School Parent Night 7th and 8th Grade_Feb2017_FINAL – Information Presentation
- NEW (17-18) 6th grade registration form
- NEW (17-18) 7th grade registration form
- NEW (17-18) 8th grade registration form