WARHILL HIGH SCHOOL
* We continue to recognize the significant achievements of African Americans during Black History month by acknowledging James W. Jones. James W. Jones was an American war hero and police officer, but he is best known for being the first African American FBI special agent. Jones was first a police officer for the Washington Metropolitan Police Department in 1905 and he quickly rose to being a detective. Shortly after having two kids, Jones joined in the US Army in 1917 and served during World War I. He retired as a World War I veteran and was appointed as the first African American FBI Special Agent in 1919. Jones worked under J. Edgar Hoover to study and infiltrate multiple groups of activist and organizers that were seen as a threat to national security. He then later resigned from the FBI in 1923 setting the walkway for other FBI agents of different races and backgrounds.
* There will be a Key Club meeting afterschool today in Lecture Hall A.
* Attention Lions – spring sports tryouts begin the week of February 18. Check athletic website for specific details for each sport. You must have a current VHSL physical form on file in Athletic Directors office in order to try out. Contact the Head Coach of sport if you have questions.
* Girls Tennis interest meeting this week: February 14, new players meet with Captain & Coach Gomes about tennis basics. Tryouts begin Tuesday, February 19 after school.
* Hola! Are you in need of the perfect Valentine’s Day gift? Do you love having a positive impact on education and employment? Purchase a handwoven bracelet or purse to support the Pulsera Project. All items are handmade by over 200 artists in Nicaragua and Guatemala. All proceeds will go towards education and employment opportunities. Purchase your bracelets during all lunches this week!
* Congratulations to the following Swim Team Members for advancing to the VHSL State Championship meet this Friday in Richmond.