WARHILL HIGH SCHOOL
* We continue to recognize the significant achievements of African Americans during Black History month by acknowledging Claudette Colvin. Claudette Colvin was an American nurse and a civil rights activist who gave African Americans the moral courage to stand up for themselves. Months before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus, Claudette stood up against segregation in Alabama when she was only 15 years old. While on a bus ride home, the driver told Colvin to give up her seat to a white passenger and she refused, saying, “It’s my constitutional right to sit here as much as that lady. I paid my fare, it’s my constitutional right.” She was later arrested with several charges, but that only added gas to the fire. She was later bailed out by her minister, and people started standing up one by one. While Colvin’s role in the fight to end segregation in Montgomery may not be widely recognized, she helped advance civil rights efforts in the city.
* Attention Sophomores – Class of 2021: Would you like to be involved in raising money for the Sophomore Class? Do you have ideas you would like to share? The Sophomore Class will be meeting Friday, February 15 during AEP in room 2136. All Sophomores are welcome. See you Friday!
* The Science National Honor Society will have a meeting on Tuesday, February 19th in room 2233 during AEP. All members should attend.
* Softball tryouts for Varsity and JV will start next week.
* Attention Lions – spring sports tryouts begin the week of February 18. Check athletic website for specific details for each sport. You must have a current VHSL physical form on file in Athletic Directors office in order to try out. Contact the Head Coach of sport if you have questions.
* Attention boys tennis players – try out dates have changed. The first day of tryouts will be Monday, February 18 at 1:00 PM. Please contact Coach Hyatt for more information.
* There will be an interest meeting for Boys Soccer after school today from 2:30 until 3:00 in Room 2106. If you are interested in playing boys soccer for Warhill High School this spring, please attend this meeting.
* Varsity and JV Boys Soccer tryouts will be held at the WISC grass fields (stadium side) Tuesday thru Thursday, February 19th thru 21st. Tryouts will last from 2:45 until 4:45 (activity bus runs at 4:45 each day). Please note that you must have a current physical on file with Warhill’s Athletic Director, Coach Mullen, in order to participate and tryout.