After-school physical activity, gardening and cooking clubs challenge students to develop lifelong healthy habits and skills.
Wellness Integration Specialists teach nutrition and train teachers to integrate physical activity into academic lessons.
SHIP educates students, families, staff and the community about healthy eating and works to continually improve food and beverage offerings in our schools.
Healthy eating, physical activity, and wellness resources support parents and PTAs to provide healthy options for students and families.
SHIP is a partnership between the Williamsburg-James City County (WJCC) School Division and the Williamsburg Health Foundation (WHF), and a multitude of community partners that are committed to working together to create a healthier community. SHIP’s mission is to improve the health and wellness of WJCC students and staff by supporting and promoting healthy eating and active lifestyle habits in the schools, homes and the community.
SHIP’s vision of success is when:
- there is a strong and sustainable culture of health and wellness for students and staff in every school
- parents and community organizations are sustaining support for the mission and goals of SHIP
- students and staff are achieving targets for health, wellness, and school engagement
Our Community Partners
- Colonial Sports
- Legacy Soccer and William & Mary soccer
- Sentara Hospital
- VA Regional Ballet
- Studio South
- Powerhouse Dance
- En Pointe Dance Academy
- Pure Barre
- World Championship Tae Kwon Do
- WJCC Police Department
- Williamsburg Farmers Market
- James City County Parks and Recreation
- Williamsburg Parks and Recreation
- Lafayette Square
- Erase the Need Center
- Head Start
- KelRae Farms
- WJCC Rural Economic Development Committee
- WJCC Community Natural Resource and Farm Link Center
- TNCC Workforce Development Chefs Go Culinary Training Program
- Peninsula School Nutrition Association
- Southeast Virginia School Nutrition (SEVASN) Directors
- School Nutrition Association of Virginia
- VA Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS)
- Bacon Street
- Williamsburg Community Growers
- VA Cooperative Extension, Master Gardener Volunteers and Master Food Volunteers